6/13/09

Celebrate National Pigeon Day!




That's right, folks. It's National Pigeon Day.

Personally, I don't think our little dove friends get near enough love in this city. I am a reluctant city dweller, and one of the things I miss the most about more rural areas is the wildlife. Pigeons , squirrels and rats, although vilified by the vast majority here, are my only day to day connection to the undomesticated animal world. Personally, I can sit and watch pigeons strut around puffing up their necks, fighting over stale donut-holes and roosting on building ledges all day. I try to stick them into my drawings whenever I can.

You can call them 'flying rats' if you want, but I can't imagine the city without them. God bless the pigeon.

I'm working on a new dog portrait. You can see a few day's progress in the photos here. Not done yet, but getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment