5/10/09

1 + 1 = 3


I know you're not supposed to spill the beans until around 3 months in case (knock on wood) something bad happens, but apparently Karen has shared the news on her blog (god, I still hate that word, "blog"). Yep, there's another little Yost brewing.

Karen's words of joy upon showing me the positive pee-stick test were, "What have we done?".

We just watched "The Business of Being Born" documentary, and it scared the bejezus out of me. For those of you who haven't seen it, it basically exposes the simple fact that OB/GYNs in hospitals know absolutely nothing about natural child-birth, and that they invariably force women in labor into using drugs that cause a cascade of problems (leading to the use of even more drugs) usually leading to a C-Section.

Interestingly enough, we have doctor appointments booked with a doctor at The Roosevelt Hospital (which is featured in the movie!) on recommendation from one of Karen's friends. They have a natural birthing center within the hospital. If anything should go wrong (knock on wood again) during the delivery, they just take you upstairs to the regular hospital.

Anyhow, to answer your questions:
- We think she's around 8 weeks pregnant, but haven't been to a doctor yet.
- She's got really intense morning/noon/night sickness that has pretty much kept her on the couch permanently
- "Eli" if it's a boy, "LuLu" if it's a girl
- Yes, you can get xerox copies of the "Placenta Print"
- Yes, Karen will be eating the placenta

5 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY
    I like that you've already watched the Business of being born.
    Lots of morning sickness- though sucky- is a good indication that things are going to stick around. There are some good midwives in Brooklyn doing homebirths if you are interested in shopping around. You should also read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.
    (Did I send you a copy of that placenta print I did a long time ago?)
    Oh gosh. I need to contain my excitement.
    Good luck. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get to find out about this in a blawg post??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, dawg. Karen spilled the beans and I was getting called out on it, so I just put this up this morning until I could call people. I'm desperately trying to catch up on all my work after visiting my mom in Atlanta, moving and doing everything Karen needs since she's bedridden with nausea all day. I know it's Mother's Day, but cut a dad some slack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Three of my friends here are pregnant, as is my sister. She was just telling me about the Business of Being Born doc yesterday (Ricki Lake - what?!).
    Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait so the women in the picture is 8 weeks pregnant?

    Cam

    ReplyDelete