3/8/11

Sticky Fingers on Cupcake Wars!


My buddy Doron Petersan who founded Sticky Fingers Bakery in D.C. will be competing on Food Network's "Cupcake Wars" tonight! We dirty vegans sometimes get tired of defending vegan desserts, so it's always nice when our peeps reap mainstream accolades (did I mention that Sticky Fingers is all vegan?). Sticky Fingers keeps winning all kinds of awards, and another vegan chef won a previous episode of Cupcake Wars, so I have no doubt Doron will bring home the gold.

Way back in the late '90s I designed Sticky Fingers' logo, the mischevious raccoon bandit. They've recently expanded into a restaurant and rebranded themselves as "Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats". Sadly (for me), the old logo didn't fit the new streamlined look, but it had a good decade-plus run so I can't complain. Anyway, be sure to tune in and send good mojo Doron's way!

UPDATE: Doron won the $10,000 and the chance serve 1,000 vegan cupcakes at the IceHouse Comedy Club's 50th anniversary party. I believe this kind of exposure is invaluable as "vegan outreach" in that people with no experience with vegan food may realize that it's not all about sacrifice and asceticism once they taste well made food.

As a bonus (to us, anyway), Doron was wearing a piece of my wife's jewelry (Anomaly Jewelry) and they briefly flashed my old logo!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that you were friends with Doron, or that you designed the original Sticky Fingers logo! I LOVE that raccoon, and always thought it was one of the best logos any business ever had. Although I'm thrilled for their success, I too was sorry to see the raccoon go in Sticky Fingers’ recent image makeover.

    It's funny you mentioned that Doron was wearing your wife's jewelry. My wife, Vicki, recently commissioned some jewelry of miniature Sticky Fingers items for her: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/38794206

    Lastly, on an only marginally related note, if you haven't seen it already, check out my recent post at Comic Book Justice on veganism and other animal rights-related issues as portrayed in various superhero comic books: http://www.comicbookjustice.com/2011/02/15/justice-for-all/

    ReplyDelete