2/9/09

James Jean "Kindling" show at Jonathan Levine Gallery


I have a tendency to procrastinate, so I'm glad I happened to find out that yesterday was the last day of James Jean's "Kindling" exhibit at Jonathan Levine Gallery before it was too late. Karen and I headed over there before going to see her brother's new film "Memorial Day" (showing at the IFC theater).

James' paintings were gorgeous and complex as usual. Although his complex pieces are a lot of fun to look at (there's so much going on you can just keeping finding new things) I actually prefer when he keeps things simple. His work seems most powerful (to me, anyway) when his color is subdued and he focuses on just one subject.

Here's a photo I took of my favorite piece. I wasn't supposed to take photos without permission, so don't rat me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment